Saturday, April 16, 2005

Time for Reflections....

start
It is now raining cats and dogs outside, it's look like i have to skip today's track runs. Maybe, it's the weather or just plain boringness, i start to reflect....... an overweight(75kg, waist 34")38 years who decided that he must shed the excess weights through some form of excercises. Do and complete a Full Marathon Race before his first 40s birthday.......

It was this simple decision made more 2 1/2 years that i started this journey of discovering the joys and the adventures of Running. I recalled that in July,2003 that i could hardly completed a 2.4km run without stops and was totally breathless after each run.Despite of the poor fitness, i registered for that year's Half Marathon Race. For 4 months, i persevered and soldiered on with 3 times per week ,30minutes running routines at the nearby park. Just before the December's Marathon, i lost 10kg and was able to run 10km distance non-stop.( the furthest distance that i attempted then was only 15km. ) With lots of apprehension and self-doubts, i still managed to drag myself to the START line. I completed my first Half Marathon by run/walk in 2hr 16minutes. This is the START of my love and adventures with Running......

Lon road
After completing my first Half Marathon, i was confident that my target to do a Full Marathon before reach my 40's birthday is very achievable. In the first half of 2004, i continued to train 3-4 times per week and participated in many running races including a Biathlon. My progress and improvements were slow as i was not clocking enough mileages to build firm endurance base necessary for a Marathon race.
Fortunately,I found out that there is a group of distance runners, MR25(MacRitchie Runner 25) who regularly train at the reservoir for their Distance and Marathon Races. I went for their June's 5km Time Trial and narrowly qualified for their membership with 24mins 15sec finishing time. After joining the Club, i trained with the members of MR25 every Sunday and also ran in their 20km,25km,30kmand 35km Progressive Runs. The Weekend's LSD (long slow distance) runs and the Progressive runs gradually built up my endurance base and fitness. Because of the fellows MR25's supports and encouragement, i completed my very First Full Singapore Marathon Race in 4hrs 21mins.I fulfilled my dream of completing a Full Marathon before my first 40 birthday. My adventures did not stop here, i continued to run in MR25's Ultra-Marathon, Tsunami Victim's Run with Sukaimi,TheLonelyRunner and recently completed my second Marathon in KL, Malaysia. My running adventures continues........

My Personal Running adventures race only just begins, i am look forward to new challenges and new goals............ FINISH Line is still far far far far far away.......

finish

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
Jesse Owens

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...